Let’s Get Growing 2016

2016!   With the new year I celebrate another year of blogging.  As each new year unfolds I renew my ambition with this blog  – “See more! Read more! Share more!”  In the first blog posting of January 2011, that is what I proclaimed.  This year I will add” Write More!”

2015 was the beginning of my column for a local publication.  Let’s Get Growing.

The Art of Gardeing

The Art of Gardeing

My last article reviewed new garden books.  If you have not already immersed yourself in “The Art of Gardening”,  I highly recommend you buy or borrow this book.  If you haven’t already taken a trip to see Chanticleer, the garden that engendered the photographs and writing , this book will drive you to put it on your bucket list.

My column is comprised mostly of my musings on gardening in the South, which is so different from my previous decades of gardening in the Northeast.  I ponder the pleasures of communal gardening in our plot at Skidaway Farms  and try to entice my Southern neighbors back to the garden.

Thunbergia vine

Thunbergia vine

Today, as 2015 closes, and 2106 begins, I celebrate how fortunate I am to have a bit of land to garden, and to have these beauties blooming on December 31, 2015, at my doorstep!

Tea Olive

Tea Olive

Begonia and coleus

Begonia and coleus

Daphne

Daphne

Dianthus

Dianthus

Happy New Year!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Let’s Get Growing 2016

1. Elaine says:

Happy new year Jayne – may it bring everything you wish for.

2. Pauline says:

Wishing you All the Best for 2016 Jayne, may you have fun while you garden!

3. Les says:

Happy new year to you as well! I had a lovely visit to Chanticleer this fall; it was my third trip. This time I was accompanied by fellow gardeners and it was great fun. I immediately put The Art of Gardening on my Christmas list, and Santa came through.

4. Linda Dudley Mutch says:

Happy New Year Jayne! If you ever get to this area…I live about 20 minutes from Chanticleer! I’d love to go with you! The Art of Gardening is on my list!
    Love to you and your Family ~ Joy ~ Happiness and great health in 2016!
    oxox
    L

5. jody says:

you write like an angel and you truly know your subject material! thank you for breathing new life into it for me .. maybe I’ll rededicate myself to my gardens in 2016.

6. Karen B. says:

Jayne,
    Happy New Year. I look forward to your inspirational posts on gardening. I neglected my yard as year, due to a severe drought in our region. One of my New Year’s goals is to get busy on the yard, one space at a time. Our climates aren’t dramatically different so always read, with interest, your ideas for plants.
    xo,
    Karen

• A book that I mentioned in that article I just wrote, is called The Gardeners Guide to Weather & Climate. It is not my usual cup of tea, so to speak, as it is very scientific. However, I think I owe to myself as a gardener to try to figure out how to live with our crazy changing climate and weather which we have no control over! If I learn anything that can be translated in my blog, I will surely post!

7. bittster says:

The Chanticleer book was one of several gifts to myself this year, I’m so glad I was good and deserving since the book is a real treat.
    All the best for the new year, I love seeing you flourish in your new home!

8. Happy New Year to you as well!

9. I enjoyed seeing the flowers in your garden. I also live in coastal Georgia and recognize them all! I’ve never seen the “Let’s get Growing” publication. I would love to check it out. Where is it available?