NANTUCKET September

Nantucket is an Island like no other.  IMG_5535With a rich maritime history and a population committed to her conservation, she manages to use tourism to her advantage while still maintaining her integrity.

For years we visit her shores in either June or September.  The crowds arrive in July and stay until labor Day.  This year we went a bit early and the crowds were still there.  Children are back to school so the beaches were tame.  The shop keepers were still displaying their wares with great style. IMG_5572 IMG_5571 IMG_5506 IMG_5504 IMG_5491 IMG_5492 IMG_5493 IMG_5503 The lines were long at the Juice bar.  But the quiet of a gallery IMG_5574or a solitary walk could be found.  IMG_5513It is much easier to get there by jet, but we still drive and take the slow ferry.   Each year, I say good bye and wonder if I will be drawn back again.

Nantucket beach

Nantucket beach

11 Responses to NANTUCKET September

1. Karen B. says:

Jayne,
    What a beautiful place. The closest I’ve ever been to this island is Cape Cod. I was impressed with the vibrancy of the window boxes in your post this late in the summer. I’ve missed your posts. It’s nice to take a break now and then.
    xo,
    Karen

2. Pauline says:

Lovely flowers displayed in the window boxes, I think late breaks are very special when most of the people have gone home!

3. Beautiful!! I’d love to go. I was in Boston this summer but should head for the beach next time.

4. Okay, now I’m feeling the pain of envy. LOL Beautiful, absolutely beautiful. June or September – before or after the tourists. Good choice.

5. rusty duck says:

Now that is somewhere I would really like to go, it conjures up a whole set of uber chic images to me and I’d love to see if it’s really like that in reality. Plus the beach looks so inviting!

6. threadspider says:

Beautiful pictures reminding me of Cape Cod where we holidayed four years ago..We loved it. Nantucket looks like a wonderful place for a vacation

7. jody says:

it is surely heaven on earth and you are an angel for taking your little gabby sister along xoxox

8. bittster says:

Fantastic photos -and I am NOT a shopper 🙂
    This island has been on the bucket list for a while now, but we would be stuck going when the crowds are thickest. I bet it’s still wonderful.

9. You are right, it is wonderful even when the crowds take over. The beaches go on forever and you can always find a secluded spot if you want to.